|Name of the Structure
|Tekeli Mehmet Pasha Mosque (Mehmet Pasha Mosque, Tekeli Pasha Mosque)
|It currently functions as a mosque.
|17th century (1607-1616)
|Tekeli Mehmet Paşa
|Location / Address
|Tuzcular, Uzun Çarşı Sk. No:3, 07100 Muratpaşa/Antalya
The mosque has a near-square plan and two entrances, one in the west and one in the north. On the south façade are a mihrab and a pulpit, both made entirely of marble. There is a minaret with a single balcony in the northwest corner and an octagonal fountain in the middle of the courtyard on the east, which was added to the building in 1977.
The mosque is built of cut stone. The harim is accessible through doors with depressed arches in the center of the east, west, and north façades. All façades except that on the south are symmetrical. Each façade has two rows of five windows corresponding to the ground and top stories. Consisting of three parts, the south façade is arranged differently. There are two levels of window openings on each side and three levels in the center. The harim is covered with a central dome supported by a hexagonal drum. There are 16 windows with pointed arches on the drum. The north side of the mosque was covered with three domes and incorporated into the harim during a restoration project in the 19th century. The mihrab is positioned in the center of the south façade. Just east of the mihrab is the marble pulpit. There is a wooden women’s prayer hall in the northeast corner of the harim, accessible from the east with a 12-step staircase.
There are tile inscriptions in the Islamic Taliq calligraphy script on the pointed arch pediments of the windows on both sides of the door on the north exterior façade and on all the ground floor windows on all the interior façades. Classical Ottoman engravings were found under the Baroque-style decorations on the domes during the most recent restoration of the building. In addition, the elaborate hand-carved decorations of the Hünkar Mahfil (the Sultan’s prayer section) from the Ottoman Period were also revealed under a layer of oil paint.
There is a minaret with a single balcony in the northwest corner. On the square plinth level is a hexagonal pulpit, animated with pointed-arch niches on all sides. The beveled transition segment concludes with an annulet underneath the cylindrical shaft. Further up the minaret is another annulet and four rows of sawtooth eaves under the balcony, and beyond, a honeycomb gallery topped with a pointed spire.
The restoration project that started in 2018 revealed one geometric mosaic, two cisterns, two earth ovens, and three tombs from the Roman Imperial Period during the construction of a toilet facility in the courtyard.
İ. Ünal, “Antalya Bölgesindeki Çinili Eserler, Türk Etnografya Dergisi 14,” 1974, 23 vd.
Türkiye’de Vakıf Abideler ve Eski Eserler (I), Vakıflar Genel Müdürlüğü Yayınları, 1983, 563-567.
L. Yılmaz, “Antalya-Tekeli Mehmet Paşa Camii ve Tarihlendirilmesi,” Adalya 4, 1999-2000, 301-316.
L. Yılmaz – K. Tuzcu, Antalya’da Türk Dönemi Kitabeleri, Haarlem 2010, 223-237.
T.C. Antalya Valiliği, Antalya Kültür Envanteri (Merkez), Antalya 2003, 37.
S. Kılıç, “Antalya’da Tek Kubbeli Cami ve Mescitler (Osmanlı Dönemi),” Antalya 2015, 50-69.
Tekeli Mehmet Paşa Camii, Antalya Muratpaşa İlçe Müftülüğü, Antalya 2016.