We would like to announce the extension of the deadline for our scholarship and support programs, due to the extraordinary phase we are all going through associated with coronavirus. In order to facilitate the completion of application documents, the new deadline for applications is 20 April 2020.
Also, we would like to draw your attention to several issues mentioned below:
- The evaluation process will be completed as scheduled with the results being announced in June. Possible updates will be announced on our website and via our social media accounts.
- Project support applicants should attach all the requisite permits, if necessary, from the respective authorities regarding any excavation, survey or museum research. Support payments are realized following the completion of all supporting documents. AKMED is not responsible for the delays/cancellations of excavations or collecting these permits due to the coronavirus pandemic. AKMED has the right to cancel awarded support or scholarships; however, the applicant may reapply for the same project in 2021.
- Masters and PhD students who are applying for scholarships should keep this in mind. Although scholarships are awarded in June, if their work plan includes library study, domestic or international travel, or other situations restricted by the government because of the coronavirus pandemic at that time, AKMED has the right to put such scholarships on hold until health and travel conditions are normalized.
PROJECT SUPPORT PROGRAM
AKMED provides support to projects on history, archaeology, art history, ancient languages and cultures, cultural heritage and related areas that are targeting Mediterranean world from Gibraltar to Levant. In this respect, national and international scientific project in related disciplines will be supported.
- Applicants should complete their PhD studies at application date.
- This program is open to national and international applications.
- Archaeological excavations or surveys supervised by Ministry of Culture and Tourism are not directly supported.
- However, projects focusing on a specific problem related to an excavation or survey, rather than excavation or survey as a whole, is eligible to apply.
- Projects solely based on restoration, analysis, scaling and evaluation are not supported.
- Applications can be submitted in Turkish or English.
- Successful projects that will be granted support will be announced in June on AKMED web site.
- Resume that includes contact details and publication list if available.
- Project prososal that includes thesis subject, method, aim, summary of the previous studies in available, research plan and program.
- Project budget with justification of costs
- All required permits taken, if necessary, from the respective authority regarding any excavation, survey or museum research, should also be attached.
- Applications should be digitally sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 April 2020 latest. Applications received after this date will be not be taken into consideration.
- Delivery check of the application is the applicant’s responsibility. For questions on the application process please contact Miss. Özge Yanardağ (email@example.com)
Note: Application documents will solely be sent digitally to the referred address. Application through regular post or courier is not necessary.
- Scholarship amounts are determined by the Executive Board each year and in 2020, scholarships for research projects will vary between 10.000-15.000 TL.
- Sholarships are paid to applicant’s bank account following the Evaluation Committee decision and submission of research permit by the applicant.
Research proposals of the applicants will firstly be evaluated by the Executive Board and short listed projects will be considered by the Evaluation Committee. Committe will direct the projects to referees based on their areas of expertise. Finally the Executive Board will give its final decision on the project that will be supported by taking the referee reports and Committee evaluations into consideration.
Research Process and Finalization of the Projects
- Final report of the completed projects should be submitted to AKMED within 2 years.
- After the finalization of the project, within 2 years publishing the research findings is compulsory and in the publications AKMED financial support should be stated. In this respect, at least 1 publication in a national or international peer-reviewed or indexed journal is compulsory.
- AKMED support, in all articles and publications generated from the supported project, should be stated in the first pages as “This article/publication is financially supported by Koç University Suna & İnan Kıraç Research Center for Mediterranean Civizilizations”.
- As the projects are expected to be finalized in maximum 2 years and 1 publication is compulsory, a new research application can only be done after fulfilling these criteria.
- The research projects are supported on single term basis; re-application with the same project is not possible.