AKMED provides support to projects on history, archaeology, art history, ancient languages and cultures, cultural heritage and related areas that are targeting Mediterranean world from Gibraltar to Levant. In this respect, national and international PhD students studying in related disciplines will be supported.
- All students enrolled in PhD programmes in history, archaeology, art history, ancient languages and cultures, architectural history and restoration-conservation departments at all universities in Turkey or abroad and in the preparation stage of their thesis are eligible to apply.
- Applications can be submitted in Turkish or English.
- Applications should be submitted online https://koc.dreamapply.com/en_GB/courses/course/284-akmed-doctoral-level-fellowship by 24 April 2022 latest. Applications received after this date will be not be taken into consideration.
- Successful thesis proposals that are eligible for support will be announced in June on AKMED web site.
- Resume that includes contact details and publication list if available.
- Project prososal that includes thesis subject, method, aim, summary of the previous studies if available, research plan and program.
- All required permits taken, if necessary, from the respective authority regarding any excavation, survey or museum research, should also be attached.
- If any other means of support taken form other institutions, it should be stated.
- Applicants should state at least 1 advisor to send a reference letter on the online application system. Followingly, the advisor/s will send their reference letters by using the same system electronically.
- Delivery check of the application is the applicant’s responsibility. For questions on the application process please contact Mrs. Özge Yanardağ Koçyiğit (firstname.lastname@example.org) Only e-mail inquiries will be responded.
Note: Application documents will solely be sent digitally to the referred address. Application through regular post or courier is not necessary.
Research proposals of the applicants will firstly be evaluated by the Executive Board. If required, the Executive Board may direct the applications to referees according to their areas of expertise. Finally the Executive Board will give its final decision on the project that will be supported by taking the referee reports and Committee evaluations into consideration.
Scholarship amounts are determined by the Executive Board each year and in 2022, scholarships for PhD research projects are max. 15.000 TL/project.
Research Process and Finalization of the Projects
- Interim reports are required to be submitted in 6 monthly basis following the start of the projects. All reports should be signed by the students and approved by the Thesis Advisor. Interim reports include progressive, technical, administrative and financial information regarding the project.
- If the student status of the student is terminated, scholarship is cancelled and refund process will be initiated immediately.
- If the project is supported any institution other than AKMED, then AKMED should be informed.
- If two consecutive interim reports is missing, this leads to the cancellation of the scholarship and refund process will be initiated immediately.
- Misuse of financial resources during research leads to the cancellation of the scholarship and refund process will be initiated immediately.
- AKMED should be informed immediately, if there is any change in the thesis headline or topic. If the change is not approved by AKMED, then refund of the scholarship would be possible.
- A copy of the thesis is required to be submitted to AKMED in 3 months after the approval of the thesis for AKMED Library users.
- AKMED support, in all thesis and publications generated from the supported project, should be stated in the first pages as “This thesis/publication is financially supported by Koç University Suna & İnan Kıraç Research Center for Mediterranean Civizilizations”.
- After the completion of the project, the students are required to submit a list of all spendings generated during the project. Additional documents like invoives are not necessary.
- When requested, PhD students are required to make a presentation of their projects at a date mutually determined in AKMED. The travel costs will be covered by AKMED.
- Publication of the thesis is the owner’s responsibility and AKMED does not apply any restrictions or measures.