The ancient city of Kibyra was founded on the low hills just west of Gölhisar District of Burdur Province, between 950 m. and 1350 m. altitudes. The city was located at the intersection of the Lycian, Carian, Pisidian and Phrygian cultural regions in Ancient Anatolia, at the centre of the trade routes connecting north to south and east to west. The region was known as “Kabalia” in the early periods and “Kibyratis” in the Hellenistic and Roman Imperial Periods. In the Hellenistic Period, Kibyra was an autonomous city-state that could mint money in its own name. The city was destroyed by a great earthquake in 23 AD; the then Roman Emperor Tiberius granted tax amnesty for five years and also provided financial aid. Thus, the city could be rebuilt and the people of Kibyra showed their gratitude to the Emperor by renaming their city “Caesarea Kibyra”. After a second devastating earthquake in 417 AD, the architectural landscape of the city changed and the city continued its existence throughout the Late Antiquity, gradually shrinking and losing its former splendour. According to the information read from ancient sources and inscriptions; Kibyra is especially famous for ironworking, leatherworking and horse breeding. As a result of the researches, it was determined that especially ceramic production was very intense. Since 2006, excavations have been carried out in the Stadion, Odeion, Agora, Main Street, Necropolis, Late Antiquity Bath, Kaisareion, Roman Imperial Period Bath, Tholos Nymphaeum, Building A and Basilica structures in Kibyra. Excavations were completed in the Stadion, Odeion and Late Antiquity Bath. On the other hand, excavations are still ongoing in the Agora, Main Street, Necropolis, Kaisarion, Basilica and Roman Imperial Period Baths.
November 16, 2023 – 17:30
November 16, 2023 – 19:00