Name of the Structure    Gavur Bath (Yenikapı Bath, Paşa Bath?)
Category Bath
Period Late Ottoman?
Current Condition The structure, under private ownership, is well-preserved and closed to the public.
Construction Date Late 19th century?
Built by
Location / Address Kılınçarslan, 07100 Muratpaşa/Antalya

Gavur Bath (aka Yenikapı Bath) was probably built by Antalya’s Greek community in the second half of the 19th century. It consists of a changing room, a cold room, and a hot room. The building is entered through a double-winged wooden door with a depressed arch and rectangular windows on either side. The square changing room under a gable roof also functions as the entrance to the bath. In the center of the changing room is an octagonal Baghdadi lantern mounted on a wooden frame. On the southeast wall are two windows and a door opening to the toilet. Two wooden stairs leaning on the northwest wall lead to the wooden gallery floor (şırvan), which no longer exists. A rounded arch on the northwest wall of the changing room leads to the dome above it has 104 small circular windows known as elephant eyes that provide daylight into the bath. A passage from the lukewarm room leads to two other square-shaped rooms. These rooms are also covered with domes that each have 32 elephant eyes to allow daylight. An opening with a rounded arch connects the lukewarm room with the hot room. In the hot room are a central octagonal göbektaşı (central marble platform), three iwans, and four private rooms in each corner.


K. Turfan, 1955 Yılı Antalya Merkez Eski Eser Fişleri. Antalya 1955, no. 57.
Ş. Güvenç, Antalya Kaleiçi’nde Yenikapı Gâvur Hamamı Restorasyon Projesi, İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Yayımlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi, İstanbul 1997.
T.C. Antalya Valiliği, Antalya Kültür Envanteri (Merkez), Antalya 2003, 44.

Gavur Hamamı

Kılınçarslan, 07100 Muratpaşa/Antalya

Open on Google Maps