Name of the Structure    Dumlupınar Junior High School (Greek School for Girls)
Category School
Period Late Ottoman
Current Condition It continues to be used as a school.
Construction Date 1905
Built by The building was constructed with donations collected from the local Greek communities.
Location / Address Kılınçarslan, Kadir Paşa Sk., 07100 Muratpaşa/Antalya

The Greek School for Girls opened in 1905 on the site of the Hagios Leontios Church, which was destroyed by a fire in 1895. The architect was Vasili Efendi, according to Ottoman archive documents. It functioned as a school except between 1919 and 1921, during which time the Italian occupiers used it as a hospital. It was renamed Dumlupınar Junior High School after the proclamation of the Republic of Türkiye and has remained as a school since.

Situated in a spacious courtyard, the rectangular building lies on an east-west axis. The two-story building also has a basement. A mezzanine was added during the restoration in the mid-1970s. Two main doors on the north and south façades provide access to the building. The doors have rounded arches topped with triangular pediments and round-arched windows on either side.

Two gates located in the south and north sides allow access to the courtyard. The northern stone gate on Yeni Kapı Street has survived to the present day in its original form. There are cippi on either side of this round-arched gate. These columns are topped with a triangular pediment with two lateral and one peak acroteria with palmette leaves; only one lateral acroter has survived to the present day.


B. Varkıvanç – E. Çelebi (ed.), Kaleiçi Yaşayan Antik Şehir Rehberi, Metinler: Burhan Varkıvanç, Muratpaşa Belediyesi, Antalya 2015, 28-29.
Ş. Yirşen, “The Construction Process of a School: The Antalya Kaleiçi Orthodox Christian Girls’ School (Dumlupınar Secondary School) in Ottoman Archival Documents,” Adalya 24, 2021, 395-415.

Dumlupınar Ortaokulu

Kılınçarslan Mh. Kadir Paşa Sk. Pk:07100 Muratpaşa/Antalya

Open on Google Maps