|Name of the Structure
|A church converted into a mosque
|It currently functions as a mosque.
|15th century? and 19th-century renovation
|Location / Address
|Kılınçarslan, Hesapçı Sk. No:45, 07100 Muratpaşa/Antalya
Accurate information about when the church with three naves was built and converted into a mosque is unavailable. According to M. Güçlü, the church mentioned in fifteenth-century documents concerns another church that might have been built here at an earlier date. However, there is no way to verify this information. The antiquity registry file recorded by K. Turfan in 1955 indicates that the date 1834 was written above the north door, but that has not survived to the present day. It was probably converted from a church between 1934 when it was taken into the possession of the General Directorate of Foundations, and 1955, during which little was changed on the original layout except for the addition of a mihrab. The stone minaret with a single balcony was added to the southwest side of the prayer hall in 1958.
The building was a basilica with three naves before it was converted into a mosque. There is a balcony along the entire length of the east wall. Just below the balcony is the entrance door with stone benches with voluted armrests on either side. The double-winged wooden door is delimited by cippi on either side. The decorations starting at the end of the cippi form a pointed arch at the top. A second pointed arch with floral decorations was placed inside this arch. There is a large wooden porch in the northern courtyard.
The prayer hall is divided into three naves with two rows of columns topped with Corinthian capitals. The central nave is wider. Four columns support the Baghdadi dome. There is a rosette in the center of the dome and decorated vault surfaces. The apse was closed and turned into a mihrab wall during the conversion. Daylight reaches inside the building through 24 windows. The pediments of the lower windows feature hand-carved decorations.
K. Turfan, 1955 Yılı Antalya Merkez Eski Eser Fişleri. Antalya 1955, no. 55.
T.C. Antalya Valiliği, Antalya Kültür Envanteri (Merkez), Antalya 2003, 38.
M. Güçlü, “Panaya Kilisesi’nin İnşası ve Tarihi,” Taç Dergisi 6, 2015.
S. Eroğlu Bilgin, “Antalya Panagia Kilisesi’nin (Alaeddin Cami) Kalemişi Süslemeleri/Kalemisi Decorations of Antalya Panagia Church (aka Alaaddin Mosque),” SDÜ Fen-Edebiyat Fakültesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, Nisan 2021, Sayı: 52, 1-19.